Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Trohpy-Wife-In-Training: Get Crafty!

"She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises."

Meaning:
There's not a whole lot to decipher in this section. First and foremost the first 3 words stand out to me; "She shops around..." (I confess I may be reading more into this than necessary, but I think I'm on to something). I think that this is an admonition to not simply stop at the most handy place, but to make the effort to search for quality items at the best cost. In other words get the most for your money. I'll venture so far as to also say try to endorse the businesses of the good and godly...support those as often as you can. Many Christian mothers are bringing income to their families through at-home business, buy from them if you can. Some doctors are taking a stand as treating their patients based upon Christian values, entrust them with your care. These types of things may require extra effort on your part, but do make a difference. Moving on...this biblical trophy wife is a creative and crafty lady. She takes precious little and makes useful, and I'm sure, beautiful items. Not only does she make things for her family...she enjoys doing so. Two things jump out at me here: 1. Making things for your family is far more fulfilling than buying them. There is fulfillment and pride in making something from nothing. We modern day women, who boast of such accomplishment and equality, would greatly disappoint our feminine ancestors if they could see how many of the traditional skills we lack. Why cook from scratch when you can microwave? Why sew, when you can buy? Why grow a garden and put up vegetables when they come in a can? I believe that we have lost the honor and pride that comes with being a resourceful woman. It's far easier to swipe a card than to put a little elbow grease into creating something of our own. Now I know that there's nothing wrong with doing things the 'modern way', but I am saying that I believe that if we return to the old ways of doing things that we will find ourselves more fulfilled. 2. The tasks we perform as wives and mothers should be labors of love, not labors of grumbling. What comes from our mouths is the overflow of our hearts. If we do our duties with positive loving attitudes that will be visible to our husbands and children. My husband will not enjoy his home cooked meal nearly as much if I spend the entire dinner complaining over the amount of effort it took to create it. Find enjoyment in your wifely duties...you are serving not only your family but your Father in all you do...even the little things.
The final part of this scripture talks about how the woman sails faraway and brings back exotic surprises. Think outside the box, do the unusual...your family will appreciate the effort. Try a new meal, make a special scrapbook for your children...Show your family that you go out of your way just for them.

Summary:
I am not a crafty person by nature, but I am good at stealing the creative ideas of others. For Christmas last year I got a sewing machine and have been putting it to good use since. I've made blankets for my girls, curtains for my windows, and etc. I have found great joy and fulfillment in knowing that I have the ability to create these things. My husband is proud of me too, he shows of the things that I make as though it is an extraordinary accomplishment. I try to make at least 2 home cooked, from scratch meals a week, and to his credit, John always notices and appreciates them. we have also begun trying to give our business to the 'good and the godly' as often as possible, and this has proved a blessing to both parties. Something "exotic" that I am working on are life journals for each of my girls. This is my life story written down to give to them on their 16th birthdays, and it will take that long to complete them. It's my hope that they will see through this gift how very precious they are.

My goal is to continue doing more and more in these areas, and to try to use these skills as a ministry. Cook meals for a new mom, make a special Christmas dress or gift for someone who might not be able to buy one. I encourage you to try some of these things, I promise you will be blessed by the accomplishment of a task that has an easier alternative. Please share how and if this blesses you as it has me.

In Christ's love and mine,
Bri

1 comment: