Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Cousin Than

Nearly all of my childhood memories include my Rainey boy cousins. I was the first Rainey girl after a series of 8 Rainey boys and needless to say everyone was a bit befuddled as to what to do with me. My cousins, Larry, Than, Matthew, and Nicholas, didn't have this problem; they all knew exactly what to do with me. I remember being stuffed in clothes hampers, stuck up in trees, buried up to my neck in dirt...you name it and it happened. (I must insert a disclaimer on their behalf: I was bossy, whiny, and annoying.)

Around the time we all became teenagers our relationships began to change. Than went to high school and was named "Best Looking." Matthew joined him there and played percusion in the band. Nicholas and I remained best friends until his passing my senior year. Larry grew up and did his own thing.

For a long period of time when there was a gap between Than and I, and for years this broke my heart. I wanted so much to be close to this young man that I had always looked up to, that I still looked up to.

Time has come and gone. Than married a wonderful woman that I dearly love. They had a sweet little girl and moved to India for a year. While they were gone, I grew up in many ways. By the time they arrived home they were expecting their second child and I was engaged. Than and I started tearing down the wall that had been there for so long, and the process has continued for the last year or so.

Last night John and I had dinner with Than and Brandi. I had tears in my eyes on the way home as my husband and I talked about how wonderful it was to fellowship with them. The wall is gone and so is the distance. I listened to my cousin speak last night and realized that we have the same heart. I look at him now and smile to still see the little boy I adored, but shining through even stronger is the wonderful man that he has become.

My heart is blessed today because of last night with him, my cousin Than.

1 comment:

  1. i just remembered you started this blog... i'll be sure to have than read it!! that was a wonderful night of fellowship with you guys at mi pueblo... hope to do it again soon!! love ya, brandi

    ReplyDelete