Tuesday, May 19, 2009

3 a.m.

It's 3:00 a.m. (hence the title, clever I know) and I can't sleep. Today I meet my daughter. Such a simple sentence...such a profound experience. For years this day has been imagined within the confines of my mind, and now in mere hours the yearnings of my heart and mind will become reality. How does one sleep in a time such as this? This lady cannot, although her snoring husband does not face such maladies. A few moments ago I lay there looking at him...wondering. I pray that our daughter is like her daddy. He's such a strong, good man. He's the best person I know.

It's 3:00 a.m. and I can't sleep. Today I meet my daughter. Such a simple sentence...such a profound experience. Curse Eve for making what could have been an altogether pleasant experience painful. Today is the first day of mothering a sweet little girl, of training her up in the way she should go. John and I fervently believe that parenting, particularly a godly child in today's secular world, is a daily effort. I hope I'm adequate enough for the job. I desire so badly for Abigail to be the woman God created her to be...the kind of woman I want to be...that I wish I was. Admonish me if you will, but within the depths of my heart I believe that training begins from day 1. I'll enjoy each day, but I'll know that each day is in preparation for the day when she, my daughter, sits at a computer of her own contemplating the imminent arrival of her firstborn.

It's 3:00 a.m. and I can't sleep. Today I meet my daughter. Such a simple sentence...such a profound experience...

3 comments:

  1. Congrats guys! Shane just forwarded me a text from your mom that "Gracie's" heartbeat speeds up whenever John talks to her...so sweet! Praying that everything goes well today and she's as beautiful as her momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I'll be keeping you all in my prayers today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see pics!!! Good luck, I said a little prayer for you today:)

    ReplyDelete